Finding a great dog park may be of the utmost importance to you, if your current home isn’t blessed with a large backyard, or your canine is friendlier and more social than most. Here are some options to check out in the Northeast Valley:
- Horizon Park – Located at 15444 N. 100th Street in Scottsdale, this two-thirds of an acre dog park is open from sunrise to 10:30 pm each day. This park has drinking fountains for dogs (and people), a shade structure as well as a dust-control feature for watering, operated by push button. Visitors are limited to two dogs per visit, and all dogs must be 4 months or older, licensed and current on vaccinations.
- Desert Vista Park in Fountain Hills – Located at 11800 Desert Vista in Fountain Hills, this park is open from 6 am to 9 pm daily. This dog park contains 2 separated areas for small and big dogs within 3 acres. This dog park has ramadas, doggie dipping pools, water fountains and low-level lighting. Dogs must wear a visible, current license, and owners must carry a standard 6-foot leash.
- Barbara’s Pet Park in New River – This private dog park is located at 46135 N. Black Canyon Highway in New River, and serves Cave Creek, Carefree, Tramonto, Anthem, New River, North Phoenix and Black Canyon City. Membership costs $100 a year per dog, and permits daily visits to this park with water features, agility courses for both small and large dogs, a pergola with misters, showers, a drinking fountain and fire hydrants. Open from 7 a.m. to dusk daily (no later than 8:30 p.m.)
- Chaparral Park – Located at 5401 N. Hayden in Scottsdale, this large dog park is open from 6 am to 10 pm daily (opening at 5:30 am May 1-Oct 31). This park features designated areas for active and passive dogs, as well as lighting, water fountains, seating for humans, and play features such as sand and concrete tunnels. Dogs must be 4 months or older and licensed with current vaccinations.
- Vista Del Camino Park – Located at 7800 E. Pierce Street in Scottsdale, this park is open from sunrise to 10:30 pm and features a double-gated entry to the dog park. This park contains shade trees and benches in its half-acre area. The dog park is north of the parking area of the park.